Sunday, September 7, 2014

Blog Post 3


Source: Photo by 6 Traits Resources

How Can You Provide Meaningful Feedback to Your Peers?

Peer editing is something that is very useful in and out of the classroom. It is a way for peers to share their positive feedback with one another on their work, and then improve from the constructive criticism. Then main point that stuck out to me in these videos on peer editing is being positive when giving feedback. I know from experience, when someone is rude about a mistake you made it makes the feedback process discouraging. I 100% agree with peer editing and being positive while also addressing the issues in their piece of writing. The 3 sources were all about peer editing and what the purpose of giving meaningful feedback entails. All of the three sources mentioned the 3 most important steps in peer editing. The slideshow by Adriana Zardini, describes the steps and they include having positive compliments, suggestions, and corrections. These steps to follow are super easy to remember and if you say in your head "Did I leave a compliment?" "Did I suggest?" "Did I correct?" then you will create a quality editing response that will in turn help your peer improve in that piece of writing.

In the funny video, by Tim Bedley, it gives examples of students peer editing and "Whatever William" really stuck out to me. I've had an experience like this where the peer I was editing didn't say anything while we were supposed to be discussing their work. "Whatever William" just said yeah, ok, i don't know, etc. instead of engaging himself in the peer editing process. So don't be a "Whatever William!" Instead, during the peer editing process you want to be engaged with your peer so you both can bounce positive feedback off of each others ideas. "Pushy Patty" is a great example, from the video by Tim Bedley, about how not to be too strong willed while peer editing. No one wants to be pushed around during the editing process and each person should share their own ideas and work together to make the piece of writing better. Although, you don't want to be a "Pushy Patty" you do need to be willing to say your concerns with the problems in their work. These sources emphasize to not be afraid to correct your peer, but do it in a positive way. As long as you always go back to compliment, suggest, and correct you will always be on the right track when editing with peers. So the next time you find yourself being a "Whatever William" or "Pushy Patty" just take a step back and redirect your efforts in a positive way to provide them with meaningful feedback they can use!

4 comments:

  1. "...ok, i don't know,…" Did you intend for the i to be lower case? That is possible given the context but I bet it was a typo.

    Thorough. Thoughtful. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Robin. It was very thorough and easily read. I totally agree about rudeness being discouraging. Just this past semester I was peer reviewed in a very unflattering way and it did not sit well with me. Yet, after that I caught myself being a "Pushy Patty" to the student I was peer reviewing. I never like being the reviewer because I'm a very blunt person and worry about hurting someone's feelings. I appreciate the 3 step process we learned in the videos and will try to implement them in my future reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can watch the latest news about coronavirus, business, fashion, gadgets and various others Read More

    France approves AstraZeneca vaccine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trending information about the health and fitness, addiction, mediation, strength training and Read More

    Anti-Anxiety Plan

    ReplyDelete